POSITION SUMMARY: Our client, a division of an international chemical manufacturer with a 100-year history, is headquartered in St. Louis. With a reputation for excellence, strong profitability, a tenured workforce, and an amazing culture, this is truly a once in a lifetime role offering a developmental and learning opportunity! With plans for continued expansion via both acquisition and organic growth , they are seeking an individual to join their accounting team who comes with enthusiasm and the desire to roll up their sleeves, drive change, and be effective at listening to and working with all levels of the organization while always seeking ways to improve processes and create efficiencies.
Reporting to the Assistant Controller, the Accountant will initially spend the majority of their time performing the cost accounting functions for the organization. However, once processes and efficiencies are identified and in place, this role will go beyond the typical cost accounting duties and provide exposure to a variety of accounting work including capital accounting, internal control systems, consolidation of financial results, learning and working within their parent company’s consolidation software tool, and possible future involvement in due diligence of acquisitions!
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform cost accounting, budgeting, and financial analysis.
- Create and support a product costing system in compliance with accounting principles, tax requirements, and reporting specifications while ensuring accurate costing data analysis.
- Develop cost standards for material and labor and apply absorption rates for fixed and variable costs.
- Coordinate Long Range Plan for product costing.
- Oversee all aspects of inventory valuation and costing including establishing effective processes regarding inventory usage and movement.
- Coordinate physical inventory counts and inventory location reconciliation. Review all inventory records periodically for inconsistencies.
- Prepare/process all inventory-related month end journal entries, coordinate physical inventory audit function, and prepare/analyze inventory variance reports.
- Support Operations and Sales/Marketing regarding analysis of product profitability, SKU rationalization, etc.
- Coordinate with Finance regarding budgets, variance analysis, and cost accounting/financial reporting issues.
- Maintain the SAP accounting system to ensure availability of cost information for analysis and budgeting.
- Monitor financial systems for procedural and processing improvements.
- Maintain accounting policies and procedures knowledge and recommend improvements as needed.
- Provide backup support for monthly IDL financial consolidation entry.
- Manage and communicate results of all assigned special projects including conclusions and recommendations.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business with emphasis in Accounting or Finance.
- At least 2 years of general accounting experience; cost accounting and/or manufacturing experience preferred.
- Capacity to learn the business including company products, manufacturing operations, equipment utilization, and material requirements.
- Enthusiastic attitude and desire to dive in, drive change, and effectively engage with all organizational levels.
- Ability to learn quickly and adapt to continuing change in systems and processes.
- Strong organizational skills allowing simultaneous management of various projects and responsibilities.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Strong computer skills working with large data sets.
- Outstanding Excel skills; SAP experience a plus.