Our client, a 60+ year old third-generation family business, is headquartered in Memphis, TN. With over 20 locations across the United States, they are one of the largest contributors in their industry. The company has grown their multiple business lines tremendously in the last several years, utilizing acquisitions as a key expansion component. In addition to their operating companies, various other business interests are among the ownership’s holdings.
SCOPE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
As the company heads into a new growth chapter, the CFO will be a key strategic leader for their finance and accounting departments. Working directly with the President/COO, the CFO will play a leading role in both strategic planning (assessing business needs and opportunities for growth) and strategic transactions (mergers and acquisitions). In addition, the CFO will have a seat on the Executive Management Team alongside the CEO, President/COO and General Counsel.
The ideal candidate will bring the following successful experiences to this new opportunity.
- Expanding business through M&A expertise
- Supporting multiple businesses with financial planning and guidance
- Developing relationships for corporate banking and financing M&A transactions
- Directing finance-related ERP/technology practices
- Plan, develop, implement, direct, and evaluate the organization’s financial performance.
- Manage the finance and accounting departments including evaluating department structure and staffing to create the best team composition and focusing on mentoring and developing talent to support continued company growth.
- Advise the CEO, President/COO, and Board of Directors on financial matters including company performance, strategic transactions, real estate, etc.
- Procure and manage banking relationships for both corporate banking and transactional needs; develop an enterprise banking plan to address better access to capital and banking services.
- Work closely with equity partners as a member of the Executive Management Committee to support their financial needs and assist in their financial performance.
- Continually improve budgeting and financial reporting practices.
- Direct short and long-term financial planning in conjunction with other strategic planning to better prepare the company for growth.
- Develop a centralized Treasury function responsible for cash management, investments, and treasury staff management. Manage all aspects of global cash flow.
- Assist with identifying, sourcing, and executing acquisitions, joint ventures, and other strategic relationships. Direct and lead teams responsible for performing investment due diligence; support negotiations during M&A deals and integration post-deal.
- Develop cash flow, capital expenditure, cost accounting, and other models to support business decisions.
- Perform ad hoc modeling and analysis as required.
- Analyze financial performance to reduce expenses, improve resource allocation, and increase revenue.
- Oversee internal audits and ensure proper internal controls. Support external CPAs performing annual audits/reviews.
- Ensure compliance with GAAP and applicable accounting standards for privately held businesses.
- Ensure safe and proper recordkeeping and documentation of financial matters, whether digital or physical.
- Manage procurement function for enterprise vendors and negotiate contracts on behalf of member companies.
- Direct the proper design, utilization, and implementation of finance ERP systems across all companies.
- Participate in all aspects of financial management associated with real estate entities.
- Oversee risk management and Captive Program.
- 10+ years of experience required in related industry corporate finance/accounting or public accounting.
- Bachelor’s degree and active CPA license required; master’s degree in accounting, finance, or business administration preferred.
- Experience in privately held organization preferred.
- Effective leader with a collaborative mindset; a strategic and persuasive fact-based partner to the management team and business partners whose valuable insights and knowledge directly improve the company’s ability to achieve sustainable growth.
- Strategically minded, big-picture thinker with the ability to lead teams and implement new processes/ideas.
- Strong business acumen including the ability to partner and communicate effectively with all organizational levels.
- Strong ethics and moral code; must possess integrity.
- Presence and stature to generate respect, trust, and positive image for the organization. Results and action‑oriented with sound judgement and ability to balance multiple business considerations with integrity.
- As part of the Executive Team, this role is required to travel periodically to business locations as necessary.