POSITION SUMMARY: Our client is seeking a Cost Accountant to partner with the Finance Manager in promoting and protecting value for the company through activities and analysis relating to operational cost budgeting, forecasting, capex and monthly reporting. This role will have specific responsibility for inventory accuracy and management reporting as well as product costing for operations.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure all cost data is accurate and timely in support of vigorous reporting and insightful analysis, utilizing standard cost methods working within QAD.
- Work with the Finance Manager in budget preparation, variance analysis and reforecasting along with preparing periodic analysis and reports such as gross margin, cash flow, cost analysis, profitability and variance analysis with root causes.
- Identify opportunities for cost reduction and control by collecting cost data, allocating costs, preparing reports and analyzing labor, equipment, depreciation, etc. in accordance with established procedures.
- Prepare monthly journal entries ensuring shop floor financial controls are in place and variance analysis is performed. Complete month end closing by closing work orders, reviewing variances and reconciling ledger accounts such as inventory and capitalized development costs.
- Support manufacturing and design engineer decision making with cost analysis interpretation.
- Support sales by preparing product profitability, profit comparison, margin and cost analysis, and identifying opportunities for cost improvements.
- Participate in physical inventory, preparing and analyzing stock position. Prepare valuation taking into consideration inventory excess and obsolescence.
- Support Capex applications and accounting for construction in process, providing spend tracking and forecasting to assist with management decisions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years of experience in accounting costing or analysis in a manufacturing setting.
- Ability to effectively convey financial information to various organizational levels and functions both verbally and in writing.
- Advanced software skills relating to Excel, database management and query programs. Experience with QAD a plus.