POSITION SUMMARY: Our client, a $100+ million private enterprise headquartered in St. Louis, is seeking a Director of Tax to manage tax planning and compliance across their entire organization. Primary qualifications include outstanding technical skills, expertise in S corporation and partnership taxation, understanding of individual and trust taxation, and excellent skills in project management and communication. If you are highly motivated and looking for an opportunity to lead and expand value to the business, please read on!
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage preparation and perform review of all tax returns to be filed on behalf of the organization.
- Calculate and maintain advanced 704c partnership accounting allocations.
- Manage sales tax and other general tax functions.
- Develop detailed understanding of all retail and real estate operating businesses included in the portfolio.
- Manage and coordinate the tax effect of multiple entities with a variety of ownership structures.
- Cultivate key working relationships with the finance and accounting teams, serving as the tax expert and strive for proactive handling of tax matters.
- Conduct after-tax analysis and analyze transaction impact to the finance and accounting teams.
- Maintain tax forecasts across multiple years including deferred tax asset/liability calculation and tax distribution projections.
- Identify, investigate, and implement tax savings across the organization.
- Interface with professional experts such as attorneys and public accountants engaged by the organization to ensure accuracy and minimize taxation while controlling costs.
- Bachelor’s degree in Tax/Accounting and CPA certification required; Master’s degree or MBA preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in private or public accounting required.
- Industry experience in retail or real estate preferred.
- Adequate understanding of U.S. GAAP to recognize and analyze book versus tax treatment of income and expense items.
- Accounting knowledge related to income taxes such as tax provision and deferred taxes.
- Working knowledge of sales tax and other tax regulations applicable to retail and real estate businesses such as personal property tax, real estate development, payroll taxes, etc.
- Ability to review and analyze financial statements in regard to tax implications.
- Strong managerial skills including coordinating competing deadlines, creating cohesive teams, and making confident decisions.
- Ability to work independently as a trusted resource in a structured environment of connected but separate entities.
- Excellent organization and attention to detail.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills including conveying complex technical information effectively and providing meaningful feedback to individuals across the organization.