POSITION OVERVIEW: This is not your typical Senior Accountant role! This opportunity has significant leadership responsibilities and exposure to the executive team. The Senior Accountant reports directly to the CFO and will supervise a team of two. The CFO will be working with this person daily and will be grooming them to take on larger scopes of responsibilities, eventually becoming the CFO within 4-5 years. The Senior Accountant will have daily interaction with executive leadership and report financial results to the Board and Finance Subcommittee monthly. This opportunity has some great perks; over a month of time off (2 weeks over the Holiday season), Defined Retirement Plan, and BC/BS health insurance.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure complete and accurate financials in accordance with GAAP. Drive the financial close process and confirm the financial statements follow proper reporting formats.
- Generate the Statement of Net Assets, Balance Sheet, Statement of Activities, Statement of Revenues, Expenditures and Changes in Fund Balance, Cash Flow and Account Analyses on a recurring and ad-hoc basis.
- Recommend operational and financial improvements including revenue optimization and cost reconfiguration.
- Provide detailed schedules and support to the CFO in conjunction with annual audits.
- Perform monthly review and analysis of financial operations and identify business reasons for results.
- Summarize major variances versus budget; forecast and highlight problem areas and trends.
- Perform financial analysis to include reviewing new investments, complying with debt financing, and renewal of contracts.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to develop annual operating unit budgets and revised forecasts.
- Manage the financial system.
- Approve all journal entries related to the Board and operations.
- Approve POs and invoices for payment.
- Review bi-weekly payroll for accuracy.
- Review fixed assets in an automated system.
- Work closely with Purchasing on capital item requests and new project expenditures.
- Ensure proper receiving of recoverable and capital items with accurate billing.
- File 1099s and assist auditors in filing tax returns.
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting (CPA a plus), as well as 7+ years of financial accounting experience.
- Ability to proactively identify and resolve problems through skilled information gathering and analysis.
- Ability to “think outside the box” and effectively question traditional business viewpoints.
- Willingness and ability to make decisions with sound judgment.
- Focus on quality, accuracy, and continuous improvement.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with non-finance groups.
- Capacity to communicate financial information in a relevant and functional way.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications including advanced Excel and PowerPoint skills.