POSITION SUMMARY: Our client, a $1.5 billion and growing holding company based in St. Louis, is seeking a Tax Manager to become a key member of their financial team. The primary responsibilities of this role pertain to the corporate income tax function. The position currently manages three direct reports.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and manage corporate income tax strategy.
- Perform income tax accounting including analyzing and applying complex rules concerning debt modification and valuation allowances. Prepare financial statement disclosures and work with external auditors through this section of financial statement audit.
- Manage the preparation team and review federal and multistate income tax returns including joint venture and partnership returns. Serve as liaison to third party tax preparers for international tax compliance.
- Serve as point person on income tax research and proposal analysis regarding new/emerging federal and state tax issues and/or business ventures. Filter complex tax concepts into non-tax team communications.
- Assume decisive responsibility over income tax audits and income tax related legal proceedings.
- Compute annual and cumulative Earnings and Profits.
- Maintain tax basis records.
- Manage the property tax compliance function.
- Identify tax planning opportunities and value-added services.
- Mentor and train staff.
- Review outsourced responsibilities against in-house abilities and propose changes as needed for appropriate balance.
- Special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration required.
- Master’s degree and/or CPA preferred.
- Minimum seven years of experience in corporate income tax.
- Competency in ASC740 Accounting for Income Tax and C-Corp and Partnership Income Tax Compliance.
- Ability to apply mathematical concepts and fundamentals to practical situations.
- Ability to interpret technical material and address both concrete and abstract variables.
- Ability to analyze and interpret scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Excellent analytical, reasoning, and communication skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills including defining, researching, analyzing, and drawing supported conclusions.
- Effective presentations skills relating financial information to a variety of audiences including leadership.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries/complaints from a variety of business sources.